This is part of the effort by the Kansas school spending lobby to pass tax increases on Kansans so that schools won’t have to face the same tough choices that businesses and families have to make.
The KNEA effort makes it easy to solicit legislators with just a few clicks of the mouse. There is a list of talking points with red arrows. By clicking on the arrows, folks who want to tax their fellow Kansans can include boilerplate text in their message to legislators.
Here are the teachers union talking points:
- Kansas is in serious trouble. And it is not trouble caused by overspending; it is caused by over cutting.
- Cuts made by the state in Medicaid have caused Kansans with disabilities to lose services and low-paid care-givers have seen their pay decline.
- Our schools have cut employees and for the first time in generations, the educational opportunities available to our children are at risk of being cut and lost.
- The safety of our communities is at risk as you approve cuts that will turn prisoners lose and close down correctional facilities.
- Repairs and reconstruction on our highways will come to a halt if the state doesn’t get serious about these funding challenges.
- For too long the legislature has been handing out corporate tax cuts while vulnerable programs have to cope with fewer and fewer resources. A legislature that is more interested in protecting corporate tax cuts than the vulnerable citizens of this state is a legislature that has lost its moral compass.
- We have long enjoyed life in a state that knew how take care of its people, educate its children, and build great roads and highways. That quality of life is being eroded right now.
- But you, as a state legislature, can turn things around. I urge you to pass a tax bill that will stop these cuts and protect our quality of life. House Bill 2475 will do that. And I for one am willing to pay a few pennies more for a loaf of bread if it means our schools stay open, our seniors have access to home-based care, the disabled are given a helping hand, our roads remain top quality, and our communities are kept safe.
- Please support a revenue increase to protect the lives of Kansas citizens.